IC-BPS FORUM
Interstitial Cystitis Bladder Pain Syndrome discussion forum
CalendarCalendar  HomeHome  SearchSearch  UsergroupsUsergroups  MemberlistMemberlist  FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Share | 

Bladder microbiota and Urinary AMP's.

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
summerly

PostSubject: Bladder microbiota and Urinary AMP's.   Thu Aug 04, 2016 3:13 pm

I am just going to use some quotes from this study as it's it above my science level, but I found it fascinating and was wondering if a combination of urinary amp's (Antimicrobial peptides) and microbiota could be used to identify infection, instead of the standard urinalysis that seems to frustrate so many of us here.  

This study:

“explored the interrelationship between the urinary microbiota, urinary AMPs and UTI symptom severity in females undergoing POP/UI surgery (pelvic organ prolapse/urinary incontinence)”

“live bacteria are present in the bladder [8]–[12], even in ‘culture-negative’ patients”

“The establishment of a urinary microbiome emphasizes the need to redefine “UTI” to include both urinary symptoms and microbiome analyses, in addition to extended culture results [14], as part of the clinical diagnosis of UTI.”

“Our group has further determined that extended urinary cultures are necessary to grow viable bacteria from urine, as >90% of all bacteria are unculturable by current laboratory techniques.”

I want better techniques for diagnosing uti and for the medical profession to recognise that current urine testing methods are falliable.  That even if a urine culture comes back as negative or contaminated that if a patient is having lower urinary tract symptoms - like I am now, that it is likely to be an infection/imbalance.  

“possibility that some members of the urinary microbiota could contribute to lower urinary tract infections, while others could be protective.”

“certain urinary microbiota characteristics associate with increased urinary urgency incontinence episodes”

“urgency urinary incontinence microbiome was composed of increased Gardnerella and decreased Lactobacillus compared to controls”  

If there are certain microbiota associated with urinary urgency incontinence episodes, could there be some that cause IC symptoms?  Is it possible to innoculate the bladder/urinary system with "good" bacteria, kind of like a fecal transplant?

“Antimicrobial peptides (AMPs) contribute to innate host defense by providing bactericidal or bacteriostatic activity prior to subsequent innate and adaptive immune responses”

“AMP abundance in the epithelial microenvironment is associated with disease severity or inflammation”

“suggest that AMP dysfunction may increase UTI risk”

“One potential reason for UTI susceptibility is differential urinary AMP concentration and/or activity.”

“differences in urinary AMP levels may indicate UTI risk in POP/UI subjects,”

“data suggest that the urinary microbiota composition (i.e., frequency and/or abundance) and AMP profile (i.e., distribution, activity and/or hydrophobicity) in DOS urine could serve as biomarkers in the future to facilitate the identification of women at risk for post-operative UTI.”

“urinary microbiota and AMP profile have the potential to be used as biomarkers to identify women at increased risk for post-operative UTI prior to POP/UI surgery.”

Is it possible for differences in urinary AMP levels to be used to aid diagnosis of uti/imbalance in IC?  

“suggesting that the hormonal milieu (i.e. pregnancy, pre- or post-menopausal) likely influences urinary AMP regulation.”  

Why do so few dr's look at the influence of hormones?

“the spectrum and abundance of AMPs (host versus bacterial) in the urine likely contributes to both UTI susceptibility and UTI-symptoms (e.g., burning and irritation) by directly influencing the development of microbial communities in the bladder.”  

What causes differences in urinary AMP levels?  Which came first?  Is there some mechanism causing urinary AMP levels to increase, allowing infection to take hold, or does infection result in increased urinary AMP levels?

Here is the link to the study if anyone else is interested in reading it.  

Interplay between Bladder Microbiota and Urinary Antimicrobial Peptides: Mechanisms for Human Urinary Tract Infection Risk and Symptom Severity
Vanessa Nienhouse, Xiang Gao, Qunfeng Dong, David E. Nelson, Evelyn Toh, Kathleen McKinley, Paul Schreckenberger, Noriko Shibata, Cynthia S. Fok, Elizabeth R. Mueller, Linda Brubaker, Alan J. Wolfe, Katherine A. Radek

PLOS  Published: December 8, 2014 http://dx.doi.org/10.1371/journal.pone.0114185

http://journals.plos.org/plosone/article?id=10.1371/journal.pone.0114185
Back to top Go down
View user profile

Bladder microbiota and Urinary AMP's.
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1