IC-BPS FORUM
Interstitial Cystitis Bladder Pain Syndrome discussion forum
CalendarCalendar  HomeHome  SearchSearch  UsergroupsUsergroups  MemberlistMemberlist  FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Share | 

Mycoplasma, Ureaplasma and Chlamydia worthy of further research??

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
Andi2016

PostSubject: Mycoplasma, Ureaplasma and Chlamydia worthy of further research??   Thu May 19, 2016 9:58 am

Are Mycoplasma, Ureaplasma and Chlamydia type bacteria worth investigating?

According to an article by Dr Gabe Mirkin, apparently these guys are very difficult to test for using standard lab testing and can only be treated by specific antibiotics for various lengths of time (depending how long you've been infected). He also mentions the infection can spread to other parts of the body if left untreated - which makes it more difficult to treat.

He describes the following in relation to bladders:
"Usually your first symptoms from chlamydia, ureaplasma and mycoplasma are burning on urination, a feeling that you have to urinate all the time, terrible discomfort when the bladder is full and vaginal itching, odor or discharge."

We automatically think these infections are sexually transmitted, but Dr Mirkin says you can become infected from an infected person coughing in your face.

Interestingly, Professor Malone-Lee's UK research team have found mycoplasma and related species in bladders.

The article lists a number of research papers that I haven't followed up on yet.

http://www.drmirkin.com/morehealth/g144.html

Back to top Go down
View user profile
Strandsidemol

PostSubject: Re: Mycoplasma, Ureaplasma and Chlamydia worthy of further research??   Sun May 22, 2016 1:06 pm

I been tested for myco/urea at std clinic but whats worrying is they only test for couple of species i am learning there are hundreds of mycoplasmas
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Andi2016

PostSubject: Re: Mycoplasma, Ureaplasma and Chlamydia worthy of further research??   Sun May 22, 2016 3:20 pm

Yes, some labs in Australia are using PCR testing for mycoplasma but what they're setup to look for is limited - and often what they test for in men is different to what they test for in women. So if you come back negative, it means you were negative for one specific type of mycoplasma. I don't know how many different types, but I've read there are four main ones currently identified with urogenital and respiratory infections.

Back to top Go down
View user profile

Mycoplasma, Ureaplasma and Chlamydia worthy of further research??
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1