IC-BPS FORUM
Interstitial Cystitis Bladder Pain Syndrome discussion forum
CalendarCalendar  HomeHome  SearchSearch  UsergroupsUsergroups  MemberlistMemberlist  FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Share | 

Phage Therapy for Embedded UTIs

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
Jill1947

PostSubject: Phage Therapy for Embedded UTIs   Thu Apr 07, 2016 9:39 pm

Am coming across more and more on the possible benefits of Phage therapy as an alternative to antibiotics and now that clinical trials are under way maybe this potential solution will gain more serious attention.  

I’ve often wondered if catheter instillation with a cocktail of phages specifically targetted at commonly found strains of bladder e-coli would be effective.  Apparently they penetrate biofilms.  http://www.alexbetts.info/#!Clinical-Trials-and-Phage-Therapy/c1mbt/563368890cf2ce5bf43432fd

Someone on another forum has been to Georgia for her IC and will report soon on any benefits.  The phages were not instilled directly though.

Last edited by Jill1947 on Sun Apr 10, 2016 3:45 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Tina2

PostSubject: Re: Phage Therapy for Embedded UTIs   Sat Apr 09, 2016 10:00 am

Jill, My PCR Level 2 test came back with very high levels of ecoli, which started after a Hydrostentin. The thought of putting more ecoli in to my bladder would be the last thing I would agree to. It is the high levels of ecoli that have made my IC far worse over the last 2 years
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Jill1947

PostSubject: Re: Phage Therapy for Embedded UTIs   Sun Apr 10, 2016 3:51 pm

Tina, sorry I worded my post badly and have edited it. What could possibly be instilled are phages that destroy e-coli. My understanding is that phages have to be strain specific.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Tina2

PostSubject: Re: Phage Therapy for Embedded UTIs   Sun Apr 10, 2016 4:54 pm

Oh that sounds better Jill LOL like little bugs going in to gobble up all my ecoli, hum like the sound of that.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
dantheman

PostSubject: Re: Phage Therapy for Embedded UTIs   Mon Apr 11, 2016 11:59 am

There seems to be alot of emphasis on a bacterial cause. What if it's the nerves that get hyper sensitised after an infection and the nerves sense pain when the bladder starts filing. My ic got far worse when the doctor wrongly diagnosed me with prostatitis. It was the anti biotic that inflamed my bladder. If they can stop the nerves from being so darn sensitive in my case i might stand a chance. What ever the original cause, bacteria, virus, trauma etc etc once the nerves get hyper stimulated how do you De stimulate them?
Back to top Go down
View user profile
dantheman

PostSubject: Re: Phage Therapy for Embedded UTIs   Mon Apr 11, 2016 12:00 pm

So many different reasons why the bladder becomes inflamed and therefore so many reasons why different meds don't work.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Tina2

PostSubject: Re: Phage Therapy for Embedded UTIs   Mon Apr 11, 2016 2:27 pm

I just wish that meds that do work or at least help, didnt make us so sick we cant take them. I feel like most of the time it is just - here try this - goodby.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Andi2016

PostSubject: Re: Phage Therapy for Embedded UTIs   Tue Apr 12, 2016 9:01 am

Phage Therapy trials currently underway in Australia (sinus infections, UTIs). I suppose first it has to be agreed that IC/PBS is caused by intracellular/biofilm infections.

http://www.smh.com.au/national/health/medicine-turns-to-bacteriophage-therapy-to-beat-superbugs-20160123-gmcjfl.html

"Most of our patients do really well without any problems but we've got a small cohort of patients who we think have got bacterial [sinus] infections that have either got into the cells themselves where they can't be reached by antibiotics, or they have biofilms, which are thousands of times more resistant to standard bacteria," Professor Wormald said.

"Following positive results in the laboratory, his current trial of nine patients was the first of its kind in the world, he said.

"The Westmead Institute's Jon Iredell, who is also head of Westmead Hospital's Infectious Diseases Department, successfully treated a 67-year-old woman who had a stubborn urinary tract infection using phage therapy in 2010, after no drugs worked."

Back to top Go down
View user profile
Andi2016

PostSubject: Re: Phage Therapy for Embedded UTIs   Tue Apr 12, 2016 9:05 am

This company is based in Virginia, US and Sydney, NSW

"AmpliPhi Biosciences is a biopharmaceutical company focused on the development of an internally generated pipeline of naturally occurring viruses called bacteriophage (phage) for the treatment of bacterial infection."

http://www.ampliphibio.com/about-us.html

Back to top Go down
View user profile
Andi2016

PostSubject: Re: Phage Therapy for Embedded UTIs   Tue Apr 12, 2016 9:14 am

This is the study relating to the 67 year old woman who was treated with phage therapy for her recurrent UTI
http://sydney.edu.au/medicine/21st-century/presentations/2013/bacteriophage-therapy-for-pseudomonas-UTI.pdf
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Tina2

PostSubject: Re: Phage Therapy for Embedded UTIs   Tue Apr 12, 2016 10:06 am

Andi what sort of cost are we looking at ?
Back to top Go down
View user profile
dantheman

PostSubject: Re: Phage Therapy for Embedded UTIs   Tue Apr 12, 2016 12:58 pm

That's assuming bacteria are involved. What if you have never had uti?
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Tina2

PostSubject: Re: Phage Therapy for Embedded UTIs   Tue Apr 12, 2016 5:13 pm

dantheman have you had symptoms or a UTI but negative results ? If so that is one of the issues the bugs dont aleways show up in standard Urine tests here in Aus
Back to top Go down
View user profile
dantheman

PostSubject: Re: Phage Therapy for Embedded UTIs   Wed Apr 13, 2016 6:11 am

Tina2 wrote:
I just wish that meds that do work or at least help, didnt make us so sick we cant take them. I feel like most of the time it is just - here try this - goodby.

I agree, all the meds work differently on so many people with IC. The effects are either really exaggerated, don't work at all or just make you more sick. That's why I think this disease is so much more than something that effects the bladder. If the changes in cell structure are just in the bladder then why do so many of us have such adverse reactions to the meds. I do quantify that thought with something my doctor said, he said that around 60 percent of all his patients have negative reactions to any drug prescribed no matter what its described for. Only 40.00% of people tolerate a particular drug. Even simple drugs like Panadol and neurofen are tolerated differently in people. I hope when the they do this study they look more deeply into cellular changes in other parts of the body other than the bladder. Its not just in the bladder and antibiotics are making it worse in many instances not better.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Andi2016

PostSubject: Re: Phage Therapy for Embedded UTIs   Wed Apr 13, 2016 2:40 pm

Dantheman - you said it was antibiotics that worsened your symptoms. If that's the case, for antibiotics to have any impact at all, either positive or negative, then logic points to there being a bacterial component. Wouldn't you say?
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Tina2

PostSubject: Re: Phage Therapy for Embedded UTIs   Fri Apr 22, 2016 8:46 pm

Back to top Go down
View user profile
dantheman

PostSubject: Re: Phage Therapy for Embedded UTIs   Sat Apr 23, 2016 6:52 am

I hope it's something as simple as bacteria. It's probably bacteria that Trigger the initial problems but once the bladder has become over stimulated the nerves become over stimulated too. The bladder doesn't repair it self like a normal one does aged the bacterial attack
Back to top Go down
View user profile
dantheman

PostSubject: Re: Phage Therapy for Embedded UTIs   Sat Apr 23, 2016 7:04 am

Accidently clicked send. Any way, bladder doesn't repair it self and therefore it becomes leaky and allows urine through its protective barrier to the nerves below. Current practice is to try and recoat the bladder but this is invasive and involves elmiron or instillations. So yes i think bacteria are initially involved in many instances but it isn't necessarily what causes ongoing problems. That's what i think. They seem to have Alot of success in the US if caught early. They use an anti histamine, elmiron and amytriptylene and gradually wean you off everything except elmiron. But if you have had issues for a long time and didn't realize or like i did then more damage is done and treatment becomes almost impossible. Having said all this id rather believe it's just bacterial and that we can be cured by anti biotics or phage therapy.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
dantheman

PostSubject: Re: Phage Therapy for Embedded UTIs   Sat Apr 23, 2016 7:10 am

I think apt of people who have ic and svelte multi UTIs will do well on phage therapy. I think you should be able to get it done reasonably soon judging by how the news paper article wrote about it.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Tina2

PostSubject: Re: Phage Therapy for Embedded UTIs   Sat Apr 23, 2016 8:25 am

Hi Dan well I hope you are right, I have reached a stage where I now refuse invasive treatment, I have found all it does it make things worse and so have may others. My thought (hopes) are Phage to kill off the bacteria and then stem cell to rebuild the bladder. Sadly though I expect it is going to be out of my financial reach.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
dantheman

PostSubject: Re: Phage Therapy for Embedded UTIs   Sat Apr 23, 2016 9:59 am

If stem cell is available and it works i will pay for your treatment.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Tina2

PostSubject: Re: Phage Therapy for Embedded UTIs   Sat Apr 23, 2016 1:01 pm

OMG Dan what a beautiful soul you are, but I couldnt let you do that.

I just hope and pray that a cure is found soon, so others wont have to face the years of pain and frustration I have faced.

Eventually as you get older you have all the normal things that happen in older age but when you have IC on top of that it is exhausting.

Every day I thank God for Prof Marshall and his team, that they have taken on such a huge challenge.

These forums are such a blessing, you get all sorts of suggestions and help but most of all you are in a community that really understands.

I hope you are having a pain free day.

T.
XX
Back to top Go down
View user profile
dantheman

PostSubject: Re: Phage Therapy for Embedded UTIs   Sat Apr 23, 2016 2:47 pm

I meant and mean it.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Tina2

PostSubject: Re: Phage Therapy for Embedded UTIs   Sat Apr 23, 2016 3:58 pm

Bless you Dan, I hope we will all be celebrating in the not to distant future when Prof Marshall tells us all he has found an answer.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
IC Queen

PostSubject: Re: Phage Therapy for Embedded UTIs   Sun May 01, 2016 8:25 am

Dantheman...you are truly amazing to offer $ to help someone get out of our unbelievable misery. Folks from other countries even have offered help to me. One person offered me a place to stay if I came to Paris. That is why I get so mad at people who try to make $ off of our desperation. If the treatment or whatever they are charging for doesn't work after we have put out large sums, then they blame it on us, we didn't follow the diet or clean properly or whatever their money making pseudoscience treatment entails.

Now what would be shocking is if some our relatives cared as much as dantheman. Now something to amuse us, we need to be amused.
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2016/04/29/prince-harry-enlists-the-queen-to-star-in-funniest-royal-video-s/

Hang in there everyone and let's all send good thoughts to this team trying to help us.
Back to top Go down
View user profile

Phage Therapy for Embedded UTIs
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next